Monday, August 4, 2008

The Impulse Spender

Hello, and welcome.

As the name of my blog implies, I am an impulse spender. I hope that by the end of this exercise I will be in control of my purchases and out of debt!

I feel that keeping an ongoing blog of my progress, trials & tribulations, and (hopefully) successes will keep me focused on the end goal: Financial Freedom!

A little background on me:

I'm a very late-twenties computer professional. I was good about not collecting any credit card debt until later in my college career but made up for it by buying an endless supply of DVDs, nights out on the town, and making larger-ticket impulse buys on credit card before graduating. The move to a major metropolis area for my first job required an unsecured loan and my combination of lifestyle and living in a city really hurt my finances. While I've not yet been in serious trouble because of my finances, I've begun feeling trapped by them. I'm currently in no position to handle an emergency, and with a recent house purchase and birthday (with the accompanying feeling of mortality associated with birthdays), I've decided it's time to change my ways.

Since I've found so much help and inspiration from other "personal story" finance blogs, I'm going to contribute my story for the greater good!

With my birthday money I made an impulse purchase of a 1/10 model RC car... It's very cool, and goes VERY fast, but had I waited even a day to make the purchase I would still have the money and not made the purchase as that is something I definitely do NOT need. As such, I want to make it my very last Impulse spend.

I hope anyone that joins me on this journey finds at least some nugget of hard-learned wisdom or inspiration to improve their own personal finance situation. I'll also be calling out to the "cloud" for advice and personal stories of successes and/or failures, etc. as I determine what works and doesn't work for me!

I'm excited to begin my path toward a debt-free existence and see what transpires...

No comments:

Post a Comment