Friday, October 17, 2008

Personal Finance Software - Mac Edition, Part 1

Look for evaluations of the various Personal Finance software available on the Mac over this weekend. Depending on how much I have to say about each, I may or may not give each application its own post. I'm guessing I'll lump all the ones I have little to talk about together, and the ones for which I have more to say will have a separate post.

So far, I've been very disappointed with every personal finance application I've ever encountered. Whether it be from lack of reporting/analytical options, unintuitive setup, poor split transaction support, or just general "suckiness"; every single application has failed to be up to snuff on all platforms.

Currently, I'm double-entering my transactions into both Buxfer and a home-grown Excel spreadsheet. I've found a slew of applications online, and while the reigning champion is still Quicken in terms of use and familiarity it's reporting options always sorely disappoint. In April I began using Buxfer, and have been pleasantly surprised for the most part with it. The reporting is significantly more robust, and with proper tagging is ridiculously useful... BUT (and it's a big but), there was a hiccup sometime last week that wiped out all of my future transactions (I make placeholder entries for future bills, planned expenditures, etc); expense transactions in one account were all calculating as income transactions (with the reverse also being true) causing several balance inequities. The issue was resolved, but it's unsettling... and I was already leery of relying on third-party hardware to keep my data. So, off to look for software!

More to come..
UPDATE 12/2/2008:
This is on hold because of the current job situation. I'll definitely re-visit this at a later date. I've begun coding my own personal finance software. I have the database structure complete, but I don't have any experience building interfaces so the next part will be a challenge. When it's

No comments:

Post a Comment